Breitling, a Swiss luxury watch brand known for its precision, performance, and reliability, has introduced the Superocean collection to cater to diving enthusiasts around the world. Among the notable models is the Breitling Superocean Automatic 42 A17375E71G1, a timepiece that combines functionality with contemporary style. In this comprehensive review, we will delve into the pros and cons of this particular model, analyzing its features, design, performance, and overall value.
- Impressive Water Resistance: As a diver’s watch, the Superocean Automatic 42 surpasses expectations with its outstanding water resistance. With a depth rating of up to 500 meters (1650 feet), it offers a reliable companion for professional divers and underwater enthusiasts. The watch is equipped with a screw-down crown and a unidirectional rotating bezel, ensuring maximum security and accurate timekeeping during underwater expeditions.
- Robust Build Quality: Breitling prides itself on its robust construction and time-tested durability. The Superocean Automatic 42 continues this tradition with its solid stainless steel case, reinforced lugs, and scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. The watch’s build quality guarantees added resistance to the rigors encountered in everyday wear and active lifestyles.
- Distinctive Design: The Superocean Automatic 42 exhibits a sleek and modern design, exuding a sporty elegance perfect for both casual and formal occasions. The stainless steel case is available in a classic silver tone, while the unidirectional bezel features a ceramic insert with luminous numerals, enhancing both aesthetics and functionality. The dial offers exceptional legibility, with oversized, luminescent hour markers and hands.
- Swiss Automatic Movement: Powering the Superocean Automatic 42 is Breitling’s Caliber 17, a reliable Swiss automatic movement known for its accuracy and durability. With a power reserve of approximately 38 hours, the self-winding movement ensures precise timekeeping without the need for manual winding or battery replacement. The movement can also be admired through the transparent case back, adding a touch of sophistication.
- Superb Luminosity: Thanks to the oversized hour markers and hands filled with Super-LumiNova, the Superocean Automatic 42 provides exceptional visibility even in low-light conditions. This feature enhances the watch’s utility as a diver’s companion or as a practical timepiece for everyday wear.
- Versatile Strap Options: The Superocean Automatic 42 offers versatility in terms of strap selection. The watch comes with either a stainless steel bracelet or a rubber strap, both of which can be easily interchanged, allowing for customization based on personal style or practical requirements.
- Date Functionality: A practical addition to the Superocean Automatic 42 is the inclusion of a date window positioned at the 3 o’clock mark. This feature ensures ease of reference and convenience for wearers who rely on their watches for daily timekeeping.
- Case Diameter: While the Superocean Automatic 42 is designed to cater to a wide range of wearers, it may not be the most suitable option for those with smaller wrists. With a case diameter measuring 42 millimeters, the watch may appear bulky and overpowering on individuals with a more petite build.
- Limited Bezel Options: Although the ceramic bezel insert offers enhanced durability and aesthetic appeal, some enthusiasts may prefer a wider range of bezel options to choose from. While the Superocean collection features different colors and materials in other models, the A17375E71G1 is restricted to a specific design.
- Price Point: Breitling watches are renowned for their craftsmanship and quality; however, this level of excellence comes at a price. The Superocean Automatic 42, being a luxury timepiece, may be less accessible to budget-conscious buyers compared to other more affordable dive watches on the market.
- Lack of Advanced Complications: While the Superocean Automatic 42 excels in its core functionality as a diver’s watch, it may not satisfy those seeking more advanced complications, such as a chronograph or additional time zone functionality. While these features may not be essential for everyone, some individuals may prefer a watch with more intricate complications.
The Breitling Superocean Automatic 42 A17375E71G1 embodies the brand’s commitment to excellence in the world of diving watches. With its remarkable water resistance, solid build quality, distinctive design, Swiss automatic movement, superb luminosity, and date functionality, it offers everything you would expect from a high-performance timepiece. While it may not be the most affordable option and could be slightly large for some wrists, those seeking a reliable and stylish diving watch will appreciate the Superocean Automatic 42’s quality and aesthetics. With its blend of functionality and elegance, this watch proves to be a worthy investment for those who demand the best from their timepiece.